Before I return with more on the Rothesay Harbour saga, there have been rumours for a while that a councillor had council tax arrears but continued to vote on the council budget, something that is illegal. The National covered the story very well today and you can read it here:
Because I sent out to all councillors what was already information in the public domain, they attacked me and seemed to be public apologists for the guilty party. Cllrs Walsh, McCuish, Devon and A Morton were all involved. The National’s article alleges that this was covered up for 2 years or so and maybe that’s why these gormless councillors attacked me.
Anyway, given their attack and given the fact the guilty party, Cllr Robert G MacIntyre has not even had the decency to hold his hand up, I have today asked the following questions:
For both 2012/2013 and 2013/2014 years:
- How many standard reminders were sent to this councillor about his council tax arrears and on what dates please?
- How many times and on what dates did you or some other officer(s) alert this councillor to the issue please?
- When did this councillor pay off the arrears please and was any external debt collection agency involved?
- Apart from you, how many other council officers were made aware of this issue and who were they please?
- Did any officer alert the respective council leaders, formally or informally, prior to the 2013 and 2014 budgets, ie Cllr McCuish and Cllr Walsh?
- Was any consideration given by officers to alerting the police/CPS/Crown Office once this councillor had voted on the budget? If not, why not please?
- Was this matter considered at any meeting of council officers or at any meetings between council officers and senior councillors and if so, can I see the minutes please?